Our vision for Pennard Primary School reflects a passionate commitment to learning and recognition of the individuality, strengths and needs of our pupils. It is driven by our desire to offer the best possible education for our pupils, in partnership with parents and the local community.
Pennard Primary School aims to be a centre where:
- Learning and high standards are pursued with consistency and enthusiasm;
- Individuals are valued and helped to achieve their best;
- Effective partnerships secure the success of the school.
Our vision statement (or motto) is “Dream, Believe, Achieve Together”
WE ARE A RIGHTS RESPECTING SCHOOL
Pennard Primary School serves its community by working in partnership, providing an education of the highest quality through an understanding of shared values. As a school, we celebrate the diversity of the wider community and are committed to the principles of inclusion and equality of opportunity.
Pennard Primary School is a Rights Respecting School. This means that we not only teach about children’s rights but also model rights and respect in all relationships. Our aspiration is that our values will guide the behaviour, actions and relationships of all members of the school community.
The rights of children are preserved in the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of the Child: ‘A Rights Respecting School teaches children and young people that they have rights under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. From this starting point they also learn their responsibility to respect others’ rights in all relationships in the community. The ethos created demonstrates to children the inclusiveness of a rights respecting school and paves the way to participation in the life of the community. This in turn helps them to learn how to formulate, express and listen to opinions, helping to raise achievement.’ (UNICEF)
Here at Pennard we have 8 core rights which we view to be at the heart of our school ethos:
We have the right to:
- Know and have our rights;
- Learn and be the best we can be;
- Be safe and protected from harm;
- Be fit and healthy;
- Be heard and have our say;
- Play and meet friends;
- Our own culture and way of life;
- A caring and happy home.
As a school, we encourage children to think about personal and social values, to become aware of and involved in the life and concerns of their community and society, thus developing their capacity to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society and effective citizens of Wales and the World.
At Pennard Primary we have a core set of values:
- RESPECT – Self-respect, and respect for others. We aim to promote inclusion, and appreciate and value the diversity of people’s circumstances and backgrounds.
- RESPONSIBILITY – To take responsibility for the way we lead our lives; how we use our talents, rights and opportunities.
- FRIENDSHIP – We value friendship as fundamental to the development and fulfilment of others, and ourselves and the good of the community. As friends we show care and concern, and exercise goodwill towards others.
- PERSEVERANCE – Have a ‘can do’ attitude and aspire to achieve goals.
Our aims reflect our beliefs and values, and represent our vision and what we want to achieve as a school community, to ‘Dream, Believe, Achieve Together’.
As a Rights Respecting School we aim to:
- Create a happy and supportive environment based on a spirit of co-operation between the school and local community;
- Cultivate a caring ethos which nurtures the individuality, strengths and talents of pupils supporting them towards achieving their aspirations;
- Deliver a stimulating and innovative curriculum that challenges, excites and inspires pupils to achieve their best;
- Promote collective responsibility for raised standards and improved pupil outcomes by ensuring that everyone understands their role in contributing to the success of the school;
- Celebrate achievement and set high expectations to enable pupils to become enthusiastic, imaginative and creative independent learners who have positive attitudes to learning;
- Encourage honesty and manners and a culture where everyone is listened to and valued;
- Ensure the safety of every child and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle for all;
- Encourage an awareness of the heritage and history of Wales and the Welsh language.
Our aims are translated into priorities to move the school forward and meet the challenges of an ever-changing world.
Our new vision statement. (School Motto)
We’ve been looking at the a new child friendly vision statement for the school -after thinking through lots of ideas we asked you to vote. Thank you for the super response – here are the results.
So our new vision statement is
Dream, Believe, Achieve Together